Posted: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 14:50
The Department for Education have launched the 'Rediscover Summer' campaign, to highlight all the amazing activities happening over the summer holidays! The campaign centres around six themes; reading, creativity, sport, nature, heritage and community.
Download the Department for Education's Rediscover Summer home activity booklet. This booklet provides primary school age children with free and fun ideas and activities to do, both at home and outside, with friends and families this summer.
Please find below a snapshot of the activities taking pace across the whole of Dorset this summer;
- Wild World Heroes Summer Reading Challenge: This year, the Reading Agency have teamed up with WWF for a very special nature-themed Challenge that will inspire you to stand up for the planet! The Challenge is open to children of all ages and reading abilities. Sign up at your local library, read six books of your choice over the summer holidays, with stickers and rewards along the way, and receive a medal and certificate when you complete the challenge. Find out more via the following links; Dorset Council | BCP Council.
- Disney Dance-Alongs; Looking for a fun way to get active as a family this summer? Have a go at learning a Disney dance-along routine with the kids! You can learn their moves or get creative and put your own spin on things, it's all about getting active and having fun!
- National Trust - Get, Set, Go! Whether you're after outdoor games to entertain the kids, a relaxing yoga class in a peaceful garden or a nature challenge to get your heart racing, National Trust have got plenty for you to enjoy. Just get set, go! Throughout the 2021 school summer holidays, grab a 'Get set, go' card to create your own adventure as you explore the activities at a place near you. You can make a splash, add some bounce, follow the path, go barefoot or take a moment to notice nature.
- Move It Week Resources; The Dorset School Games Move It Week took place in June and was a celebration of sport and physical activity with inclusive activities, competitions and personal challenges! All the challenges are still available for children and young people to take part in during the school summer holidays. Get creative and have a go at dance, gymnastics and more!
- Summer in Dorset; This summer there are plenty of activities, holiday clubs and fun days taking place over the school holidays. Dorset Council have listed a range activities including those funded by the Holiday Activity and Food Programme (HAF), approved fee paying sessions and short breaks.
- Trick Skipping Challenges; Skipping is a great way to keep active and this year Dan the Skipping Man worked with the Dorset School Games to provide a range of skipping challenges for all children and young people to try! Take your skipping up a level with some amazing Trick Skipping ideas!
- Move It Week Yoga; Yoga is great for both our physical and mental wellbeing. Have a go at The Dorset School Games Move It Week personal yoga challenges, which are suitable for KS1&2, KS3&4 and for adults.
- Picnic in the Parks; Picnic in the Parks is full of ideas to help you live well and love nature. Take your time to explore this Dorset-inspired park to find inspiration, discover new experiences and enjoy fun health and nature-related activities.
- Tour de Parks; Discover parks, playgrounds and skate parks that you have never visited before with the 'Tour de Park' summer holiday physical activity initiative for Bournemouth Primary Schools! The Tour De Park information lists all the outdoor spaces available in the Bournemouth area, they can be ticked off as they are visited and you can vote for your favourite by scanning the QR code and answering a 1 question survey.
- Go Orienteering; British Orienteering has launched a new Go Orienteering portal which has over 500 permanent and virtual orienteering courses all of which are held in one place to offer a wide range of fun orienteering adventures for families and friends this summer.
- National Trust's 50 things to do before you are 11¾; You'll find fun things to do for every kind of outside place, from mountains to sea, forests to fields. So what are you waiting for? Get out there this summer and see how many you can do!
- National Trust Family Activities; There's all sorts to do in Dorset with the family this summer, including places to explore in gardens, parks, the countryside and on the beach.
- National Trust Summer family activities to do at home; You'll find plenty to keep the whole family busy at home or in your local area, including a video on how to ride a bike. Use your imagination, tune into your senses and enjoy a playful summer.
- junior parkrun; junior parkruns are free, weekly, community events which take place Sunday mornings. The 2k family-friendly route is for children aged four to 14. Walk, jog, run, hop, skip or jump - it's up to you! junior parkrun events take place in Dorset at the following places; Lodmoor Country Park | Moors Valley Country Park | Slades Park | Upton Country Park.