Dorset School Games Summer Festival went virtual!
Posted: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 12:23
Move It Week, which took place during National School Sports Week 21st-25th June, saw over 160 Dorset Schools and 50,000 children register to take part. Meaning that despite Covid-19, more children than normal have had the opportunity to participate in the Dorset School Games.
Move It Week was a celebration of sport and physical activity open to every school in Dorset. Schools were able to pick from a variety of inclusive physical activities, personal challenges, and competitions for children to enjoy throughout the week, both in school and at home, along with cultural competitions, pre-recorded assemblies, step challenges, yoga, and live dance sessions.
Move It Week aimed to:
- Provide a broad range of activities that were fun and created specifically for young people
- Increase the number, range, and quality of opportunities for ALL young people in Dorset to progress and participate in the School Games
- Increase the skills and confidence of the school sport workforce to provide high quality provision
- Raise the aspirations of young people to realise their potential in and through physical education and sport
- Help to promote a healthy and active lifestyle and support children in being active for 60 minutes a day
Highlights from the week included:
- Pre-recorded assemblies from GB Paralympian Aaron Phipps
- 36,000 activity passports distributed to KS1 and KS2 children to complete
- 2,500 children joining a live dance session with FuZe8 dance company
- 900,000 steps logged (so far) as part of the Move It Week Step Challenge
- KS3 and KS4 pupils from across Dorset taking on the Dorset School Games Ultimate Warrior Challenge
Claire Tabor, Active Dorset School Games Lead said; "It was brilliant to see so many children and young people participating throughout the week and a huge, big thank you from me and our School Games Organisers to the partners, local organisations and National Governing Bodies who supported us in making it all possible".
For more information about Move It Week or about Dorset School Games please contact; firstname.lastname@example.org