Swim Safe for Schools - Poole 2016
Posted: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 11:43
Swim Safe For Schools
- Free 45 minute specialised Swim Safe For Schools sessions.
- Sessions are delivered in line with the key stage 2 national curriculum targets of achieving self rescue and understanding of different water-based situations.
- Pupils are kitted out in a wetsuit, rash vest and Swim Safe hat
- A dry land water safety activity takes place, led by the Lifeguard.
- This outlines key safety messages and emergency procedures and is used to warm participants up – mentally and physically – before they get into the water.
- Pupils are then led by ASA swimming teachers into the water where they practise floating, rotating, feeling the strength of the water and tidal movement for approximately 30 minutes.
- They practise safety positions, self-rescue techniques, learn about calling for help and feel what it is like to move and swim in cold tidal water.
Who can attend?
Those aged 7 to 14 and should meet the KS2 expected standard:
- Pace themselves in floating and swimming challenges related to speed, distance and personal survival
- Swim unaided for a sustained period of time over a distance of at least 25 metres
- Use recognised arm and leg actions laying on their front and back
- Use a range of recognised strokes and personal survival skills (for example, front crawl, backstroke, breaststroke, sculling, floating and surface diving).
What did people say about swimsafe for schools in 2015?
"I love this campaign! So far it has been brilliant for the children and the swimming teachers have enjoyed delivering in an open air environment." - School Swimming Manager Jessica Hogben
Tinside Lido in Plymouth, run by the national leisure operator Everyone Active, ran two weeks of Swim Safe For Schools sessions during 2015, covering over 20 local schools and nearly 700 key stage 2 children.
When is Swimsafe for Schools in Poole 2016?
Monday 4th July to Friday 8th July 2016 9.30am to 2.30pm
Monday 11th July to Friday 15th July 2016 9.30am to 2.30pm
Session start times are 0930, 1030, 1200 and 1300
If you can't bring your classes along to one of our schools sessions please encourage your pupils to visit us during the public access weeks.
Saturday 30th July to Thursday 4th August 2016 10.30am to 3.30pm
Saturday 6th August to Thursday 11th August 2016 10.30am to 3.30pm
Saturday 13th August to Thursday 18th August 2016 10.30am to 3.30pm
Expression of Interest
If you are interested attending Swimsafe for Schools please contact Ashley Jones, ASA Swim Manager for booking forms and further information.
07798 703 857