Health and Physical Activity Officer
We have a fantastic opportunity for the right person to join our team and help us deliver our expanding health and physical activity work programme.
- Slades Park Pavilion, BH10 4HG
- Contact Name
- Charlotte Coward
- Contact Email
- Active Dorset Charitable Incorporated Organisation
- £25,000 to £29,000 FTE
- Part Time
- Active Dorset Charitable Incorporated Organisation
- Placed On
- Fri 18th November, 2022
- 5:00pm - Sun 4th December, 2022
- Job Reference
- Physical Activity PT
About Health and Physical Activity Officer
Contract: Part time
Salary: £25,000 - £29,000 FTE
Reporting to: Health and Physical Activity Officer
Hours and location: Part time (22.5 hours per week) based from our Bournemouth office at Slades Park Pavilion. Flexible working hours are supported along with an agile working pattern with a mix of home and office based working each week.
Closing date: Sunday 4th December 2022
Diverse talent is underrepresented in Active Dorset. Active Dorset is committed to diversity and equal opportunities and want to build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. We welcome applications from individuals representing different race, ethnicity, disability, or any protected characteristics, to help us understand and work with all communities.
Active Dorset CIC is one of 43 Active Partnerships across England. We work collaboratively to create the conditions for an active nation and use the power of sport and physical activity to transform lives. The team is focused on learning what works locally and driving collaboration and impact across the network.
People in Dorset choose to enjoy an active lifestyle through participation in sport and physical activity.
Our Mission Statement
Supporting strategic leaders with high quality advice and advocacy so that people in Dorset choose to enjoy an active lifestyle through participation in sport and physical activity.
• You will be interested in physical activity, helping people to improve their wellbeing and live more years in better health
• You have excellent people skills, are confident to lead when required and enjoy speaking to a wide range of people at all levels of seniority and background
• You will be a skilled at creating engaging training content, and delivering training to a wide variety of audiences
• You will understand health systems and the barriers that long term conditions can present to being active
• You enjoy being part of a fun and friendly team
• You are self driven and happy to work using your own initiative
About the role
Active Dorset has a strong track record as a trusted partner working to embed physical activity in health systems in Dorset. We have received both regional and national recognition for our work in health. We have a fantastic opportunity for the right person to join our team and help us deliver our expanding health and physical activity work programme.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, energetic and self-driven individual who has a positive can do attitude, a personality to build positive relationships and influence system partners and an ability to pick things up quickly and grasp complex wicked problems.
As a member of team focussing on our health programmes you will work closely with four key partner organisations; LiveWell Dorset, Public Health Dorset, Dorset Integrated Care Board and wider organisations that make up Dorset Integrated Care System. You will play a key role in seeking opportunities in local health systems and care pathways where we can embed physical activity and behaviour change through a system change approach.
- Company pension, with 5% contribution from Active Dorset
- Up t0 30 days holiday per year plus bank holidays.
- Agile and flexible working supported
- Free eye care vouchers
- Employee assistance programme
- Enhanced maternity/paternity and sick leave policies (subject to eligibility)
• To lead on embedding physical activity into cancer pathways. Working with our partners in cancer including; Dorset Cancer Partnership, NHS Dorset, Acute Trusts, and wider VCSE partners.
• To lead on embedding physical activity into falls and frailty pathways. Working with our partners including; Dorset Healthcare, NHS Dorset, and the wider network of ICS partners involved in the development and delivery of falls and frailty services across Dorset.
• To manage the planning and delivery of a suite of physical training courses aimed at both professionals and volunteers upskilling individuals to have conversations about physical activity. This includes RSPH training courses such as Level 2 Encouraging Physical Activity and Level 2 in Supporting Behaviour Change.
• Building relationships with partners/stakeholders and identifying key contacts.
• Establishing and maintaining relationships through regular communication via phone, email and virtual meetings with key project partners and local stakeholders.
• To support colleagues in the health team to deliver objectives in the business plan, meeting key deadlines and timescales.
• To keep accurate records, providing regular updates/information as required for performance reports and monitoring.
• Working with local providers of social prescribing and health coaching to embed physical activity in their services.
• Identify opportunities to embed physical activity in primary and secondary care pathways.
• To help improve the physical activity pathway at LiveWell Dorset, identifying training needs and to actively promote the service.
Please note: The duties and responsibilities of this post are not restrictive, and the post holder may be required on occasion to undertake other duties. This will not substantially change the nature of the post.
Applicants will be shortlisted on the basis of demonstrating that they fulfil the following criteria in their application form and should include clear examples of how they meet these criteria.
Values and Personal Attributes
1.1 A degree or equivalent qualification(s) in a relevant subject(s) (desirable)
1.2 Training delivery qualification(s) (desirable)
1.3 Educated to GCSE standard or equivalent (essential)
Values & Personal Attributes
2.1 Ability to work as part of a team and self-motivated to work individually (essential)
2.2 Ability to work in a fast paced environment and manage multiple demands with attention to detail (essential)
2.3 A passion for physical activity and a desire to improve people's quality of life through promoting physical health (essential)
3.1 Knowledge of key long term conditions; the benefits of being active for people with these conditions and barriers certain conditions present to being active (essential)
3.2 Knowledge of behaviour change theories and how to apply them (desirable)
3.3 A sound knowledge and understanding of primary, secondary care and the role of public health (desirable)
High level capability in using MS office applications such as Word and Excel (essential)
4.2 Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships (essential)
4.3 Excellent written and verbal communication skills (essential)
5.1 Experience of working in a related field i.e. primary or secondary care, health providers, public health, wellbeing or physical activity. (desirable)
5.2 Experience of managing a training programme and delivering training courses (desirable)
5.3 Experience of developing successful partnerships, influencing others and managing relationships (essential)
6.1 Ability to fulfil travel requirements of the role (essential)
6.2 Familiar with the local area (desirable)
For an informal conversation about the role, or to express an interest please contact Charlotte Coward; Ccoward@activedorset.org
Active Dorset is not responsible for the accuracy of information provided by third-parties and accepts no liability relating to any information contained on the site. If any contact details have been provided, It is recommended that you contact them directly.