Handball is a team sport that requires you to score by throwing a ball into a goal.
An Overview of Handball
Handball is a dynamic, popular and exciting sport that requires athleticism, strength and stamina, great fitness and most of all, team work.
Handball comes in a variety of guises from the Field (Outdoor) Handball, to the now popular Olympic (Indoor) Handball played on a 40m x 20m court to the now recently introduced Beach (Sand) Handball played on the sands of a beach.
- Increases strength and stamina
- Provides an excellent cardiovascular workout
- Social benefits of being part of a team
Depending on the club and coach, sessions can cost around £5.00 but a 'taster' session may be free.
Handball is a challenging sport that requires very little equipment and is easy to pick up. In the United Kingdom, there are around 75 clubs based largely in schools, colleges, universities and sports centres.
The club you attend or your coach will be able to tell you, but normal sportswear and non-marking trainers should be fine
- The modern game of handball was first played towards the end of the 19th century in Scandinavia and Germany.
- The first written set of rules was published by Dane Holger Nielsen in 1906.
Find Handball Activities Near You
Use the search below to find local activities near you.
National Governing Bodies
- Contact Name
- Chris McDermott
- Contact Email
- Contact Telephone
- 01925 246482